Usually, the hubs and I go to a black-tie event for NYE, but this year we have plans that require more casual attire. I wanted to be comfortable, yet still festive, so I made some sequin jogger pants!
I used the Anima Pants pattern from Papercut, but I modified the pattern to include a lining by taping the pocket piece to the leg piece before I cut the lining fabric. For reference, I made an XS, but next time, I’ll make a full seat adjustment because the bum is a little snug. Also, I decided to leave the cuffs off the bottom because I liked the dressier look.
The pocket lining does not show at all because the pocket opening was interfaced with a 1″ strip of fusible and it was understitched.
I also thought this style would look awesome with a black velvet or silk satin ribbon going down the side seam like tuxedo pants, but I thought of this too late into the construction process. Maybe next time!
I bought the rose gold sequin mesh fabric over a year ago from spandex world, and the lining is a sheer, tissue-weight black knit from Joanns. The pocket lining and waistband were cut from scraps from my fabric stash and are a 2-way stretch poly spandex blend. I was planning on using black petersham ribbon for the drawstring, but I haven’t purchased any yet. I wish I would have omitted the buttonholes for the drawstring because I like the pants without it.
This was a relatively quick project, unlike the dress I am drafting now. I can’t wait to share it in a few weeks in the Day and Night Dress Challenge hosted by Elizabeth from Elizabeth Made This. Bloggers create a casual day dress and a black evening dress, and share their results mid-January. For more information, check out Elizabeth’s blog!
These are the warmest, softest pajamas I own. And since they have a collar, I still feel decent enough to answer the door when the doorbell rings unexpectedly.
The “Carolyn Pajamas” pajama pattern is from Closet Case Files. I cut my regular size based on my measurements and made no alterations to the pattern. I used lilac cotton flannel by Robert Kaufman from fabric.com with store-bought white piping. The fabric is thick; I feel like I’m wearing a flannel blanket. Also, I have washed the pjs a couple times now with no signs of pilling!
Usually, it is easier to install homemade piping because the store bought variety does not have a 5/8″ seam allowance. I figured out a little hack that makes pre-packaged piping install much easier by using the blind hem foot. Line up your fabric as usual on the 5/8″ line on the throat plate, place the piping under the blind hem foot, and the foot will automatically shift the piping into the correct position. It worked great when I was sewing the piping around curves as well. Bernina does make a piping foot (number 38) that is better suited for this purpose, but the blind hem foot is fine for the occasional piping project.
The hand-embroidered monogram was a nice touch that ended up taking as much time to do as the set of pajamas themselves! On the plus side, the monogram is significantly softer than machine embroidery. I traced out a design onto the fabric before cutting using a water-soluble marking pen. I used a padded satin stitch to get the 3D effect on the whole design, and I used an awl to poke holes for the eyelets before embroidering them. Here is a closeup before the pocket was cut out. Sorry about the stray dog hair.
This was another sewing success thanks to Closet Case Files! I want to make at least one more set in flannel so I can stay extra cozy this winter, and maybe one light weight cotton poplin or cotton lawn set with shorts in the spring.
One last shot of Tex, the dog-hair-generator, and me modeling our new flannel attire. I made his jacket too.